Service Ideas for Lions of 5M5
Here are ideas in one of the five key areas of service on ways to serve your community:
- Collect recipes – then create a diabetic cookbook.
- Take At-Risk Test - Have group take Diabetes at Risk Test.
- Start a walking group in your community. This can also raise awareness of Lions in your community.
- Have a diabetes-friendly lunch and invite Lions, Community Members, or Seniors.
- Make fruit and vegetable baskets for adults – giveaway or prizes during Diabetes Awareness Month.
- Do a STRIDES Walk for diabetes awareness. Prior to the STRIDES Walk (and working with the local city/town), place more permanent benches on walking trails and along the sidewalks to encourage walking and more active lifestyles.
- Collect non-perishable food that is healthy for low-income people with diabetes (this also crosses over to be a hunger project): canned spinach, brown rice, whole-grain pasta, quinoa, millet, canned salmon, sardines, albacore (white) tuna in water, herring, no-salt kidney beans, no-salt pinto beans, no-salt black beans, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, almonds, mandarin oranges in water, canned sweet potatoes, extra-virgin olive oil, and chia seeds.
- Donate books about diabetes (Type 1 & 2), healthy eating, and exercise/fitness that are donated to a local school and/or public libraries. (Check with libraries first to see what books they want to acquire.) Add label in book: Donated by _____ Lions.