Service Ideas for Lions of 5M5
Here are ideas in one of the five key areas of service on ways to serve your community:
- Shop and deliver food for at-risk seniors.
- Help with Meals on Wheels and deliver meals.
- Food Shelf volunteer - Volunteer at a food shelf or pantry.
- Assist any local free meal program with shut in deliveries.
- Prepare and/or serve food at Loaves and Fishes - https://www.loavesandfishesmn.org/ Check out their web site for a list of volunteer opportunities around the Twin Cities area.
- Create Blessing Bags. These bags have a variety of non-perishable food, silverware, disposable plates, and napkins to give to people asking for money at stoplights. They also can be distributed to people who are near homeless shelters.
- Collect food for a local food shelf. Emphasize that people donate:
Whole grain products
Food low in saturated and trans fats
Food low in sodium
Lean sources of protein
Fruits that are minimally processed
Vegetables that are minimally processed
Dairy products or milk substitutes that are high in calcium
Beverages including 100% fruit or vegetable juice
Basic staple foods
Staple foods that encourage cooking and baking at home (e.g., broth, flour)
- Decorate lunch bags for Meals on Wheel recipients. In addition to receiving the hot portion of the meal in a tray, Meals on Wheels recipients get the cold portion in a lunch bag. Add life to their meals by decorating lunch bags! Simply buy paper lunch bags and use your creativity, crayons, markers, stickers, or any art materials you have on hand.
- Make placemats for Meals on Wheels – sewn or colored. The colored placemats will be laminated so they can be reused. https://meals-on-wheels.com/
- Assemble “Dinner’s on Us” kits. https://b-inspiredmama.com/dinner-random-act-of-kindness/ to be distributed as determined by each Lions Club.